Skip to main content

tv   The Rachel Maddow Show  MSNBC  June 11, 2015 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
struggling to articulate why it is they should trust him on education, immigration, some of these issues that the base is angry about. >> the point you made is it hooks back to the koches. the supply of funds has expanded so much. >> marco rubio has a billionaire backing him. >> all right. thank you all for joining us. that is "all in" for this evening. "the rachel maddow show" starts right now. >> thanks chris. and thank you at home for joining us this hour. bear with me there is an important point to this, and it is kind of a funny, important point. but you have to bear with me. most cities around the country that have gay pride parades hold them in late june because the stone wall riots in new york city happened in late june 1969. and the first pride parades ever were started as a commemoration for those riots. so they happened on the anniversary of those rye t yos. so late june in most cities is
6:01 pm
when your local pride parade happens. there are a few places though in the united states that do their pride parades at different times. where i live in western massachusetts, the city of northhampton northhampton is so awesomely lefty up there, we peg our gay pride parade to may day, because yeah sure those were riots, but it's international worker's day, comrade. and there's also the city of miami beach in south florida. they hold theirs not in june they hold theirs in april. they hold theirs earlier than everybody else. and i don't think in miami beach that it's for any specific political reason. in miami beach, they just do theirs in april because it's nice there in april. of course it is traditional to show off a little of what you've got at a pride parade. it's traditional to be a little
6:02 pm
-- so miami beach may be the one place in america where you can guaranty that in april, it will probably be warm enough outside to do your topless thing or wherever else you're going to be celebrating your pride and there won't be any risk of you being chilly. so the miami beach parade stands out for its timing. it's earlier than everyone else. and it stands out for its miami fabulousness. but it also stands out for its role in one of the most hilariously satisfying news stories of this summer so far. last night, we made a little bit of fun of the evangelist franklin graham. he's the inheritor of the evangelist empire by his late father billy graham. when franklin graham saw this
6:03 pm
advertisement running on tv recently it's an ad run by wells fargo for the last couple of months, it shows a same-sex couple two women trying to learn sign language they're taking courses, and then at the end of the ad you learn the reason they are teaching themselves sign language is pause they're about to adopt a deaf daughter and they want to communicate with her from day one. a total tear jerker of an ad right? even if it for a freaking bank. but franklin graham saw that ad and was enraged. he was so offended that he decided to pull all his franklin graham evangelism money out of wells fargo and wrote this explaining why he was doing it. have you ever asked yourself how can we fight the tide of moral decay that's being crammed down our throats? every day it's something else. wells fargo bank is using a same-sex couple in their
6:04 pm
advertising. let's just stop doing business with them that promote sin. maybe if enough of us do this it will get their attention. share this if you agree. so he moved his money out of wells fargo and moved his money instead to a different place. he moved it away from the godless nice ladies learning sign language and decided to put it in a bank called bb&t. the reason this is a funny story is because bb&t is maybe even a gayer bank than wells fargo is. bb&t recently built a makeshift chapel inside one of their branches to host a same-sex marriage and they celebrate gay and lesbian couples who have been together longer than ten years. bb&t is a platinum level sponsor
6:05 pm
of the miami beach gay pride parade. so it's funny, right? this guy being motivated by anti-gay animus and puts his money in the bank that sponsors the gay pride bank in miami. franklin graham today published an op-ed in "usa today" say thing is not funny at all. in fact, this is exactly what he meant to do. he argues today that his objection is not to some bank sponsoring a gay pride parade. his objection is to a bank using that terrible nice ad to promote homosexuality. "why did we move from one bank to another? because wells fargo went beyond being gay friendly to being a public advocate. we chose not to continue doing business with a bank that is promoting something that
6:06 pm
violates our conscience and beliefs." but the new bank he just moved his money to sponsors literally a public parade of gay people who are proud of being gay and promoting abacceptance of themselves as such. if you-- a gay pride is literally that blocking traffic in full view of everybody. it's possible somebody told him that maybe -- maybe somebody said your new bank supports miami beach gay pride, so he thought they were doing like private self-esteem classes and he was okay with that. i would like to be the person who tells him what they support with his money now is a parade. but my guess is that somebody already shared the news today after his amazing on said was published. i don't want to promote homosexuality. i'm okay with the promote
6:07 pm
homosexuality parade though. will it be on tv? i saw the other one on tv. my tv. when it comes to the anti-gay side of the argument right now, trying to follow the logic of their argumentation is not, i think, the best way to understand what it is they are doing and how well they are doing. i don't mean to say that they're dumb or illogical. it's just that they are not now counting on making great arguments in order to get their way. and that is true around the hilarious story of franklin graham and his money who very soon will be stuffing his millions into a mattress that he's personally verified as a super anti-gay mattress. it's also true in a lot of the litigation that's happening right now around gay rights there's a civil trial going on in new jersey, an actual trial with witnesses and experts and everything, a trial on the issue of conversion therapy to try to turn kids from gay people into
6:08 pm
straight people. one of the dramatic turns in that case is that the judge, in a case like this has to rule on the credentials and the intellectual rigor of experts on both sides to qualify them. the judge in this case dismissed every one of the would-be experts on the anti-gay side because the judge said none of them were qualified experts in any field that would justify them testifying in a court of law. all of their experts got thrown out because none of them were expert in anything. in the case on marriage in california, the prop 8 case they had a really hard time finding anybody who would stand up to scrutiny as a legitimate legal expert witness on the anti-gay side. one of the guys they did get on the stand in that case who did testify later recanted everything he said and said he's for gay marriage now. so they're having a hard time making good arguments now. particularly arguments that
6:09 pm
stand up to, you know, an adversarial process. but just the fact that they're making not great arguments doesn't mean they're losing their fight. even as the logic keeps getting fuzzier on the anti-gay side the political victories on the anti-gay side keep piling up including two really big ones. two really radical ones that happened today. the first one was in michigan which was a little out of the blue. people knew this was on the docket in michigan. i don't think anybody expected it to pass as quickly as it did. nobody expected governor rick snyder to sign it into law. but today he signed into law this new thing in michigan which will let michigan adoption agencies deny adoption services to anyone on the basis of any religious claim or prejudice. and there's no protection for any couples under this law. the religious objection can be
6:10 pm
to anything as long as you say it's from your religion. as of now, you can be the right to adopt in michigan if you or your partner was ever divorced or if you and your partner are of different religions or you're both jews and the person you're dealing with at the adoption agency doesn't like jews. some people have raised religious exceptions to interracial couples. michigan adoption agencies can refuse adoption on the basis of that. in michigan, the law sponsors made clear the couples they were aiming to discriminate are same-sex couples. but in couple in michigan could be denied on the basis of anything as long as somebody said they had a religious reason for making that objection. that happened today in michigan. in terms of the logic for explaining this one, check this out, this is amazing. this is rick snyder's statement
6:11 pm
on sign thing law today. this is how the governor explains why he signed this law today, which makes it legal to tell families this they are not allowed to adopt because of race or religion or because they're gay or anything else. this is how he explains it today when he signed this thing. "governor rick snyder signed legislation ensuring michigan children up for adoption have the greatest opportunity to be placed in loving homes." wait what? here's the quote from rick snyder. "we are focused on ensuring that as many children are adopted to as many loving families as possible, regardless of their makeup." so the way we're going to do that is with this new law that ensures that loving families will not be allowed to adopt michigan kids because of the makeup of those families on the basis of the religious beliefs of the people who run the adoption agencies.
6:12 pm
that's michigan. that happened today. and something similar happened today as well in north carolina. this one we've been watching for a few days. when it happened today, it was described as a legislative ambush in north carolina. this has been sort of circling. we've been wondering what's going to happen with this. but north carolina republicans brought it up without warning and allowed zero debate on it. what they passed in north carolina today is a bill that says local public officials in that state do not have to give you a marriage license if that public official has some religious objection to you getting married. any objection. and that is not just a theoretical possibility or concern in north carolina. when it became clear that north carolina republicans were really going to try to pass this thing, carol ann wrote an op-ed in north carolina about how she and her now husband, she's white, he's black, they had gone in 1976 to their local courthouse
6:13 pm
in north carolina to get a license -- >> and it's true.
6:14 pm
for generations, people have cited specific bible verses as the reason they are religiously opposed to interracial marriages. when george wallace gave his inaugural address as governor of alabama and he said segregation today, segregation tomorrow segregation forever, he followed it with this conciliatory explanation that he thought segregation could be good to black people and should be viewed as good for black people because after all, it comes from the bible. it's in his religion. >> we invite the negro citizens of alabama to work with us from a separate racial station, as we will work with him to develop, to grow an individual freedom and enrichment. this is the basic heritage of our religion that we are all the handy work of god.
6:15 pm
>> the handy work of god. but god made separate handy works. franklin graham says he's got nothing against gay people just that god told him to take his money out of wells fargo and put it this that other bank. god has not yet explained what a parade is but that's next sunday's lesson. michigan lawmakers don't want children to be placed in loving kits because god might tell someone that a muslim family is unsuited to raise children because they have not recognized the gospel of jesus christ. and now in north carolina what was aimed to be an anti-gay bill to stop gay couples from being married in north carolina have gone into law today. it's in effect today because it was an override of a veto, and the law in north carolina now says you no longer have any legal right to pick up your
6:16 pm
marriage license and get married in north carolina without being subjected to a religious test by whatever public employee happens to be on duty that day. joining us is larry hall. representative, nice to have you here. >> thanks for having us rachel. >> so is this a done deal? it's my understanding that this is law now, because it's the overriding of a veto. but am i right there's also some procedural concerns over how this happened today? >> well, yes, rachel. it is the law now. we did override the governor's veto, the republicans did, and we'll spend a lot of the citizens money to get a court decision that says what we knew was illegal, what we knew was unconstitutional, but what we did any way has no legal effect.
6:17 pm
>> on substances, i understand it, this bill allows magistrates to recuse themselves from marriages, to deny people marriage licenses, to say i will not do that for you based on their own sincerely held religious beliefs. is there language that defines the scope of what religious beliefs might be grounds for recusal. are there things that are out of bounds? >> no, rachel there's no description of what a religious belief would be and what you have to do to prove it other than just say it. and you don't have to say it in advance. you can say it as soon as someone presents themselves or when you feel it's necessary as an individual. >> so from the perspective of a couple in north carolina turning up to get their license, for them they have no idea if it's going to turn into the sort of humiliating standoff where somebody tells them no my god judges you unworthy of marriage
6:18 pm
and you can't get your license from me, we're going to start a process by which you can get it from somebody else. nobody knows that's going to happen to them until they get to the office and their local county and whatever? >> that's correct. as a matter of fact, rachel, they don't know if they'll get the license and even if they get the marriage license, they'll go through the same test or decision when it's time for them to get married by a magistrate. it's a two-step process and they can be discriminated against at both instances. >> just to be clear now, in terms of how this moved forward, do you think now this is law and in effect in north carolina, do you think the next stop is the courts that this will become a big legal issue for the state? >> almost surely, rachel, it will go to court. we've had precedent already established that moving a bill forward and a veto in this manner is unconstitutional and
6:19 pm
the precedent we have right now says that. and the content of the bill itself is unconstitutional. so again, this will be about the 14th time that this legislature has passed a law that we know is unconstitutional, that they admit they know is unconstitutional. and an unconstitutional manner and to spend the money just to have the courts slap it back down. >> representative larry hall you guys have been through the ringer. just a radical transformation in your state. thank you. appreciate it sir. >> thank you. i have an important correction i mean sincerely. near the start of the show i referred to the late reverend billy graham. that was wrong. he's very much alive and kicking. he's t 96 years old. sorry about the mistake. i don't even know how i made it. much more. we'll be right back.
6:20 pm
put your hand over your heart. is it beating? good! then my nutrition heart health mix is for you. it's a wholesome blend of peanuts, pecans and other delicious nuts specially mixed for people with hearts. planters. nutrition starts with nut.
6:21 pm
so this time last night, we were reporting as the news was
6:22 pm
breaking basically that the republican party's 2016 debate plan was descending into chaos. fox news announcing in a hurry last night that they would add a whole new separate sort of debate to the republican primary debate schedule a separate debate before the first national scheduled debate on august 6th. they're add thing new event so there would be some venue that day to include all the candidates that didn't make the cut for the main event on fox that night. fox news had to rush that announcement last night because of what a new hampshire newspaper did to challenge them as put them on the spot. this little new hampshire newspaper challenged fox news. fox news last night folded. but this fight is not over and the publisher of that newspaper will join us live in just a moment. very exciting.
6:23 pm
6:24 pm
it's day six now. this is the longest jailbreak in new york state history. the two prisoners who cut holes in their cell walls and shimmied out of prison in new york this weekend have still not been found. yesterday's news was that the search for them had broadened to include not just new york but also vermont. since the prison is new york on one side vermont on the other. today's search authorities set up a new perimeter next to the prison and stretching to the southeast toward a nearby town called katieville. this is very close to the prison. if they are there are, it would mean they have not gotten far at all over the last six days.
6:25 pm
the new tight focus on this area immediately next to the prison was sparked by more than one police blood hound catching what's described as a strong scent of these two escapees in that immediate area near the prison. the search has been going on all week but today was the first day schools were closed to give law enforcement more room to maneuver. history says these guys will be caught. but history also said these guys would have been caught by now and they haven't been. day six manhunt continues. we'll be right back. that's where at&t can help. with innovative solutions that connect machines and people... to keep your internet of things in-sync, in real-time. leaving you free to focus on what matters most. out of 42 vehicles based on 6 different criteria,
6:26 pm
why did a panel of 11 automotive experts name the volkswagen golf motor trend's 2015 car of the year? we'll give you four good reasons. the volkswagen golf. starting at $19,295, there's an award-winning golf for everyone. the world is filled with air. but for people with copd sometimes breathing air can be difficult. if you have copd, ask your doctor about once-daily anoro ellipta. it helps people with copd breathe better for a full 24hours. anoro ellipta is the first fda-approved product containing two long-acting bronchodilators in one inhaler. anoro is not for asthma. anoro contains a type of medicine that increases risk of death in people with asthma. it is not known if this risk is increased in copd. anoro won't replace rescue inhalers
6:27 pm
for sudden copd symptoms and should not be used more than once a day. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition, or high blood pressure. tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, prostate or bladder problems, or problems passing urine as anoro may make these problems worse. call your doctor right away if you have worsened breathing chest pain, swelling of your mouth or tongue, problems urinating or eye problems including vision changes or eye pain while taking anoro. nothing can reverse copd. the world is filled with air and anoro is helping people with copd breath air better. get your first prescription free at anoro.com. my name is jeff richardson the vice president of operations here at c.k. mondavi. to make this fine wine it takes a lot of energy. pg&e is the energy expert.
6:28 pm
we reached out to pg&e to become more efficient. my job is basically to help them achieve their goals around sustainability and really to keep their overhead low. solar and energy efficiency are all core values of pg&e. they've given us the tools that we need to become more efficient and bottom line save more money. together, we're building a better california.
6:29 pm
running for president is really hard. just ask republican senator ted cruz of texas. he was the first republican to announce he's running for president in 2016. he announced on march 23rd in a speech at liberty university. since then approximately one gazillion other people have entered the race alongside ted cruz. but he would like you to remember he's been campaigning for a very long time and he's very tired. "dear insert name here i'm about to ask you to make a sacrifice over the next 48 hours. but i wouldn't ask you if i hadn't done it myself. you see, running for president of the united states is a significant sacrifice, and i must share with you i'm committed to sacrificing a great deal for our campaign. time with my family.
6:30 pm
health and sleep. i'm sacrificing even more sleep with long nights and constant trouble, and the pizza diet is a staple on the campaign trail. finances. the cost of campaigning back and forth across the country for president is expensive. personal time. as a candidate, my days are no longer my own. days start before dawn and many times don't end until early the next morning. there's almost no personal time when you run for president." this is a fund-raising e-mail sent today, asking people to please donate to his campaign. ted cruz's warnings about how terrible it is for running for president are not deterring anyone else from joining him. on monday jeb bush will announce his candidacy, followed
6:31 pm
by donald trump on tuesday. hillary clinton is already in but she'll give her campaign kickoff the public speech this weekend on saturday in new york. the democratic dynamic this time is different, if only because there are so many republican candidates, potentially viable candidates in the running. as you know fox news announced a few weeks ago that only republican candidates who placed in the top ten in an average of national polls would be invited to participate in the first debate of the 2016 race which will be august 6th. for most voters the way they decide between them is those debates. excluding candidates from the debates, especially the first debate in a very real way, takes those candidates out of contention for the nomination. but fox says no matter the size of the field, they're only going to take ten. based on national polls. which national polls?
6:32 pm
who knows. how are they going to calculate? who knows. but this decision to basically ignore a big swath of republican candidates so early on in the race has a lot of people mad inside the republican party, understandably. it all came to a head yesterday. specifically last night because of new hampshire. because new hampshire doesn't take stuff like this lying down. yesterday, 56 new hampshire republicans and conservative activists sent a letter to fox news asking them to change the criteria so more candidates have a chance to participate in the debate. that started a very interesting ball rolling. a few hours later, the new hampshire union leader the largest newspaper in new hampshire decided to do more than just complain, they decided to blow it up. the union leader announcing yesterday at the exact same date on the same night, as the fox debate, they would hold their own event. their own candidate forum. also on august 6th that night,
6:33 pm
in direct protest of the fox news event that night. the publisher of the union leader saying -- >> and the gauntlet was thrown. so republican candidates for president now have to decide if they want to do this fox news debate where only ten of them are invite when there are like 20 major candidates. or if they want to do this event with the most influential newspaper in new hampshire. can't do both. they're at the same time in different places. what are you going to do? and the rnc says if any candidate chooses to participate in a non-rnc sanctioned debate
6:34 pm
that candidate will be kicked out of all of the remaining rnc sanctioned debates for the duration of the primary. the stakes are high right? one rnc official from new hampshire tried to tamp that down and told the national journal maybe there wouldn't be a conflict. he said as far as he knew participating in the new hampshire event wouldn't break the rules. the candidates would only be allowed on the stage one at a time, so it wouldn't be a debate. okay so maybe standoff defused? no! no, not at all. check this out. the publisher of the union leader newspaper told the national journal your report about our newspaper having only one candidate at a time is false. whoever fed you that is and i quote directly full of bs." asked to clarify whether his forum would have multiple candidates on stage at the same time, he replied, yeah. yes. yes. new hampshire's biggest and most
6:35 pm
influential paper really is throwing a grenade into the republican party's screwed up presidential primary plans. this is the choice for the candidates now. they can screw over new hampshire and make the rnc happy, even if the rnc lets a cable news network decide who can compete for the nomination and who isn't. or they can go to new hampshire and there by face getting excluded from all the other flawed rnc debates for the rest of the whole year. the publisher of the newspaper is a revered figure in new hampshire conservative politics. for years, his newspaper referred to george w. bush as junior, bush. in 2011 he called rick perry a big disappointment. he said michele bachmann is nowhere. he minces no words. every four years, as republicans vie for an endorsement from new hampshire's largest newspaper,
6:36 pm
joseph mmincing words, he's the guy they court to get that endorsement. just a few hours after announcing his forum last night, fox news announced they too also have a new idea. they'll host a kind of kid's table forum just for the candidates who don't make the top ten cut for the real debate. they'll host that in the afternoon before the adult debate on august 6th. is that going to defuse this crisis? i don't know. right now, there is a very real tug of war going on between the stakes that have played a crucial role in the primary process on one side particularly new hampshire, and fox news and the national republican party on the other. a big fight over how the primary process should go. i have no idea who is going to win. but the publisher of the union leader joins us next.
6:37 pm
sunday dinners at my house... it's a full day for me, and i love it. but when i started having back pain my sister had to come help. i don't like asking for help. i took tylenol but i had to take six pills to get through the day. so my daughter brought over some aleve. it's just two pills, all day! and now, i'm back!
6:38 pm
aleve. two pills. all day strong, all day long. and for a good night's rest, try aleve pm for a better am. put your hand over your heart. is it beating? good! then my nutrition heart health mix is for you. it's a wholesome blend of peanuts, pecans and other delicious nuts specially mixed for people with hearts. planters. nutrition starts with nut. there's some facts about seaworld we'd like you to know. we don't collect killer whales from the wild. and haven't for 35 years. with the hightest standard of animal care in the world, our whales are healthy. they're thriving. i wouldn't work here if they weren't. and government research shows they live just as long as whales in the wild. caring for these whales, we have a great responsibility to get that right. and we take it very seriously. because we love them. and we know you love them too. get fast-acting, long-lasting relief from heartburn with it neutralizes stomach acid and is the only product
6:39 pm
that forms a protective barrier that helps keep stomach acid in the stomach where it belongs. for fast-acting, long-lasting relief. try gaviscon®. you are looking at two airplane fuel gauges. can you spot the difference? no? you can't see that? alright, let's take a look. the one on the right just used 1% less fuel than the one on the left. now, to an airline a 1% difference could save enough fuel to power hundreds of flights around the world. hey, look at that. pyramids. so you see, two things that are exactly the same have never been more different. ge software. get connected. get insights. get optimized. in january of 2012 i was at
6:40 pm
4%. i don't know if i was last in the polls, but i was close to last. so the idea that the national poll has any relationship as to the viability of the candidate, ask rudy giuliani. >> republican presidential candidate rick santorum speaking last month. he placed second overall in the 2012 primary. if the debate were held now, he would not even be invited on the stage, which would take him out of contention in the primaries all together. yesterday, the largest newspaper in new hampshire offered a new more inclusive opportunity for candidates seeking the presidency. one that's already caused some serious drama within the highest rankles of the republican party. joining us now is joseph mcquaid publisher of the union
6:41 pm
leader. it's great to have you here tonight. thanks for being here. >> rachel you are my new hero. i watched your program last night and i thought you really grasped what is important about the new hampshire primary with your examples of mccain and clinton who didn't have a shot and wouldn't be on this debate either. but they came to new hampshire, met people and turned it around. >> thank you for saying that. i feel like it's not a liberal or conservative thing, it's not a republican or democratic thing. it's something that we've learned about the early states and the values of how new hampshire and iowa in particular take their responsibility seriously as early states that try to usurp that is something we should at least have a fight about. we shouldn't just hand it over to a cable news network. >> exactly right. it doesn't matter conservative or liberal.
6:42 pm
i think to be fair to the rnc and the networks i don't think anybody had any idea a year ago that this republican field was going to be as big as all those elephants you had behind you last night. but it is and there is no clear front-runner. no anointed one. jeb bush suspect the front-runner, scott walker isn't the front-runner. you can go on and on with the names. i don't know if your statistic of a gazillion is right, but there are some serious people. this is supposed to be held in cleveland, ohio. why, i'm not sure. but i think you and others have pointed out that the governor of cleveland, ohio, who may get into this thing, and has some street cred as a governor and congressman, may not make the threshold to be in the debate in his own state.
6:43 pm
>> you can imagine how mad john kasich feels about that. i wonder if the anger of individual candidates particularly guys like john kasich and rick santorum and some of the other people who have a real claim why they should be on the stage, is it they're upset about the debates that you ought to compete essentially with fox that night? >> not really although i've asked several about it. it was more two things yesterday. one was the letter from the 56 people in new hampshire who made a very valid point and they're all republicans. they're taking on their own party on this. secondly, i read some things on the internet concerning statements that fox people had made about and you've used the quote that they were going to
6:44 pm
winnoe the field before new hampshire. well, who the hell are they? >> is the rnc lobbying you about this stuff? have they talked to you about your announced forum? have they tried to get you not to do this? >> they talked to my editor a couple of times, who used to work for this tv station. they have not talked to me. i understand tomorrow i'm supposed to tape a program for another network and the guy who is the lead guy for them in this matter is supposed to be on at the same time and i'll be interested to make his acquaintance, because either he is somebody else who is spreading those tales that we were going to play noiseice and abide by the republican national rules regarding a forum. i'm not sure what the rules are regarding a forum. when fox made its announcement last night, hey, we're going to have a forum too, what kind of
6:45 pm
forum are they going to have? are they going to have the same kind of forum that the republicans agreed on? which you said is one at a time on stage. that's like watching paint dry. i think it would be better to have some interaction. >> have you heard from candidates yet who have committed to coming to your event? has anybody told you they'll do it for sure? >> one who is a real long shot who says to say hi to you. he used to be the governor of virginia. >> tell him i said hi back. >> he seemed to be serious. he's a guy who was the governor of a big commonwealth when 9/11 happened. he's a military guy. and the only way that he's got any shot in hell at this is coming to new hampshire and meeting voters, which he's done quite a bit of. lightning can happen in a
6:46 pm
bottle although i've been distressed in recent year that even with new hampshire and iowa there's so much influence by the national parties and so much money involved that we used to be the starting point for the primary process and the election process. now we're close to the end point. i'm speaking of the new hampshire primary. i don't think that's a good thing. i would be very happy, rachel, if fox came up with a new scheme much like that suggested by the new hampshire republicans, and mix up the group, throw polling out, get credible candidates in and if it takes you over two nights i would think the people would watch that nationwide to do it. otherwise, we're going to have to go and my buddy roger simon's idea of a big "hollywood
6:47 pm
square" box and you take the candidates from city to city for the whole campaign season. >> and they all compete. i love it. >> well, i'm -- >> go ahead, sir. >> i'm older than you. for me it's paul lynn in center square. >> fair enough. mr. mcquaid, i could talk to you all night. i hope you'll come back and talk to us again. thanks for being with us tonight. >> well thank you very much. thanks for the invite. >> that's great. i love it. i love new hampshire. i love new hampshire politics. and i love the way they will not take anything from anybody. i love it. there's no way the rnc and fox are going to win this, not against new hampshire. no way. we'll be right back.
6:48 pm
audible safety beeping audible safety beeping audible safety beeping the nissan rogue with safety shield technologies. the only thing left to fear is you imagination. nissan. innovation that excites. unbelievable! toenail fungus? seriously? smash it with jublia! jublia is a prescription medicine proven to treat toenail fungus. use jublia as instructed by your doctor. look at the footwork! most common side effects include ingrown toenail, application site redness, itching, swelling burning or stinging, blisters, and pain. smash it! make the call and ask your doctor if jublia is right for you. new larger size now available. you've heard of a "win-win," right? what about a "win-win-win"?
6:49 pm
pick up the limited edition metallic droid turbo by motorola. water-repellent. up to 48-hour battery life and ballistic nylon back. that's your first "win." plus, it's only on verizon. the #1 network. there's your next "win." now for final "win." get $250 when you trade in any smartphone. and get 10 gigs of data for $80 a month and $15 per line. the win-win-win. a new way to save without settling. only on verizon. i've smoked a lot and quit a lot but ended up nowhere. now i use this. the nicoderm cq patch, with unique extended release technology helps prevent the urge to smoke all day. i want this time to be my last time. that's why i choose nicoderm cq. some words are not all that translatable. for example, the word cwtch.
6:50 pm
it rhymes with butch, thank you very much. it comes from wales, and the welsch love this untranslatable word that they're happy to explain much as i can explain it means hug, cuddle or snuggle. cwtch is hard to define exactly but when you need one you know it. today in wales a timely cwtch got handed out and it was on tape. it makes everything make sense and that story is ahead. stay tuned for that. it's truly amazing. stay with us.
6:51 pm
6:52 pm
ta mere rice was killed the week before thanksgiving last year. he was 12 years old and had been playing with pellet gun in a cleveland park on a snowy day when police shot him in a blink in less than three seconds. since that shooting there's been no decision whether to charge the officers in his death. this week eight regular people civilians in cleveland took the matter directly to a local judge. ohio law allows ordinary citizens to petition a drug for an arrest warrant. it's a rarely used thing but you can do it and these local citizens in cleveland asked the judge to ask whether the evidence justified bringing serious charges in this case. they did that on tuesday. this afternoon, that cleveland city judge issued his ruling. he said he was quote thunder struck by how quickly this event turned deadly.
6:53 pm
he said he believes there is probable cause to charge the shooting officer with murder and both officers on the scene with negligent homicide and dereliction of duty. he said prosecutors should file criminal complaints and he would tell them so. it's important to note these officers haven't been charged them judge's opinion is not binding on the prosecutors but obviously this does crank up the pressure for prosecutors to reach a resolution in this case. the county prosecutor's office said they will bring this case to a grand jury as they do with all cases involving police use of force. they told us the case will need more information. they said they are not setting timetables. with this judge's opinion today, saying charges should be brought and probable cause exists the stakes got yet higher in the stakes of 12-year-old tamir rice. the pursuit of healthier. it begins from the second we're born.
6:54 pm
after all, healthier doesn't happen all by itself. it needs to be earned... every day... using wellness to keep away illness... and believing that a single life can be made better by millions of others. healthier takes somebody who can power modern health care... by connecting every single part of it. for as the world keeps on searching for healthier... we're here to make healthier happen. optum. healthier is here. here at friskies, cats are in charge of approving every new recipe. because it's cats who know best what cats like to eat. rice. up today, new friskies 7. we're trying seven cat-favorite flavors all in one dish. now for the moment of truth. yep, looks like it's time to share
6:55 pm
what our cats love with your cats. new friskies 7. for cats. by cats. out of 42 vehicles based on 6 different criteria, why did a panel of 11 automotive experts name the volkswagen golf motor trend's 2015 car of the year? we'll give you four good reasons.
6:56 pm
the volkswagen golf. starting at $19,295, there's an award-winning golf for everyone. ♪ ♪ when you're living with diabetes steady is exciting. only glucerna has carbsteady clinically proven to help minimize blood sugar spikes. so you stay steady ahead.
6:57 pm
>> macy meet the queen. queen meet macy. she is 56-year-old girl in sales. on a royal advertise visit the queen aes macy met. she was waiting for the queen in a lovely welsh dress so she could give the queen a bouquet of flowers. she got up early, waited for the queen to show up and at the right moment has to hand over the flower and remember to curtsy properly. it is high stress but she does it perfectly and great. then something comes out of left field.
6:58 pm
>> oh god. she did so well. she was just a little too close to that soldier. local press reports the soldier turned around and apologized profusely as soon as he was allowed to but apparently you can not just stop saluting the queen in the middle of it even if you hit a girl in the face on the upswing of your salute. her family's reaction a is priceless. one is shocked. the other completely loses it. it turns out she fine. she went to her aunt for a cwtch which in welsh means she got a cuddly hug that made her feel safe. i would want one of those too because sometimes the cost of misjudging the tiniest thing can be very, very high. ready for the metaphor? today in the u.s. house of representatives, speaker john boehner began the tight rope walk he hopes will result in a trade deal moving ahead. house democrats generally hate this thing.
6:59 pm
republicans like it but can't get their troops in line to pass it because president obama likes it too ew, cooties. he has a considerable opposite force working against him. senator elizabeth warren has been leading the fight against the trade deal for months. almost le derailed it in the senate and today as john boehner is constructing this deal in the house elizabeth warren sent out a call asking everyone to call their member of congress and urge them to vote no. this whole thing is so precarious, a flood of calls from senator war remember's wing of the party on the big eve of the big vote could be enough to upset speaker eliza bayne er -- speaker boehner's apple cart. the tiniest misjudgment, a couple of inches either way and
7:00 pm
whap! . they need 217 votes to move it forward. speaker boehner called the first of many votes this afternoon. he needed 217, he got 217. they made it but boy is it close. they can't afford to lose a single vote. nobody knows if this will go down in flames when the real show starts tomorrow. the tiniest thing could make the difference and if it does somebody is going to seriously need a cwtch. that does it for us tonight. ari is in for lawrence tonight. >> good evening. jeb bush was supposed to be the republican front runner by now. according to conservative writers that's not the least of his campaign's problems and we will also explain what the judge's decision in the police shooting of 12-year-old tamir rice really means for the case. >> late developments in a case a lot of people have been closely watching. >> we are asking for an arrest. that's what the statute calls for. >> the police shooting death of tamir rice.

46 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on